Goal of the Course
Following this Course, the attendee should be able to:
- Understand the principles on which Mohs’ micrographic surgery is based
- Recognize key technical, environmental, and organizational strategies to safely and efficiently perform Mohs’ micrographic surgery procedures
- Identify dermatologic indications suitable to be selectively addressed by Mohs’ micrographic surgery
- Develop adequate early confidence in performing Mohs’ micrographic surgery following simple phantom-based practical excercises and 3D hystologic specimen assessment
- Understand the principles of post-Mohs’ micrographic surgery reconstructive techniques, post-operative healing and proper follow-up planning
- Differentiate among different microscopically controlled surgical excision techniques proposed to treat selected skin cancer available today
Innovative, compact, 48-hour ILE (Intense Learning Experience) with practical hands-on training on phanthoms, under direct supervision of world-known experts in Mohs micrographic surgery, organized in an advanced Dermatologic Surgical Centre.
The medical facility hosting the Course will provide 7 active treatment rooms equipped with all necessary technical supplies. The attendees – in groups of 3-4 – will perform the exercises described in each mini-tutorial on phantoms and on teaching microscope. All exercises will be performed under the supervision of a Course Faculty Member and designated Assistants. Each group will rotate every 15-20 minutes in order to be exposed to all sequential steps of the Mohs’ micrographic surgery procedure.
Each attendee will present a “distillate” of a specific skin cancer treated or amenable to Mohs’ surgery excision in 5-min. (5 concept slides + 1 title slide + 1 conclusions slide per presentation allowed). The best and most original presentation will win a 3 day observational training at SDC (travel & accommodation non included).
Triest is an elegant, safe, and conveniently located northern Italian city. The importance of its natural harbour was recognized firstly by the Romans, later by the Venicians, and finally from the Austrians who made Triest one of its major commercial cities on the Adriatic sea. Triest airport is connected with Munich (Germany) with 4 daily flights. Only 1 hour driving separates it from Ljublijana, the capital of Slovenia, 90minutes from Venice and the southern Austrian border. Triest is famous for its strong wind (Bora) and one of the biggest sailing events in the mediterranean (Barcolana).
Coruse Venue/Medical Facility
The course will be held at the SDC - the Skin Doctors Center. SDC is an advanced Dermatologic Clinic dedicated to General and Advanced Surgical Dermatology (ASD), including Laser, IPPL, LED, RF, Mohs surgery, Advanced PDT, Nail surgery, Cosmetic and Corrective surgery. SDC features a meeting room with OR (Operating Room) video-transmission and 6-7 treatment rooms: an ideal setting to organize hands-on courses.